Used as a symbol of romantic love and affection in and around Glasgow, Scotland. Usually considered to signify deeper feelings than a Glaswegian kiss.

The custom of sending a bunch of deep-fried roses to loved ones is thought to have developed from the much older Glaswegian delicacy, the deep fried mars bar. That prized foodstuff was invented by accident when a mars bar was dropped into a deep-fat frier, and deep-fried roses were discovered in exactly the same way: they are nothing more or less than beautiful, delicate, fragrant flowers dipped in boiling lard.

However, while the deep fried mars bar has become a sought-after and popular item, even becoming a symbol of the resurgence of Scottish cuisine on the international stage, deep-fried roses do not enjoy the same reputation. While it's tempting to attribute this to the inedible nature of the roses themselves, in fact the problem would appear to be simply that deep-fried roses are very rarely sent. This may be due to economic factors, in particular that the typical Glaswegian is too skint, drunk, busy or indeed quintessentially tight-fisted to buy roses in the first place, let alone to splash out on the extra expense of having them fried in a light and tasty batter.

This nodeshell was rescued by Em, and is now a lie.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.