From Starhawk's book "the Fifth Sacred thing"

The earth is a living, conscious being. In company with cultures of many different times and places, we name these things sacred: air, fire, water, and earth.

Whether we see them as the breath, energy, blood, and body of the Mother, or as the blessed gifts of a Creator, or as symbols of the interconnected systems that sustain life, we know nothing can live without them.

To call these things sacred is to say that they have value beyond their usefulness for human ends, that they themselves become the standard by which our acts, our economics, our laws, and our purposes must be judged. No one has the right to appropriate them or profit from them at the expense of others. Any government that fails to protect them forfeits its legitimacy.

All people, all living things, are part of the earth life, and so are sacred. No one of us stands higher or lower than any other. Only justice can assure balance: only ecological balance can sustain freedom. Only in freedom can that fifth sacred thing we call spirit flourish in its full diversity.

To honor the sacred is to create conditions in which nourishment, sustenance, habitat, knowledge, freedom, and beauty can thrive. To honor the sacred is to make love possible.

To this we dedicate our curiosity, our will, our courage, our silences, and our voices. To this we dedicate our lives.

According to Moxy Früvous, there are actually only three sacred things -- The Beatles, William Shatner ("the greatest Canadian who ever lived"), and... well, the last one seems to change a lot, depending on exactly where and when they're performing Green Eggs and Ham, but Eric Clapton was the leading contender at the concerts I attended.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.