A quaint system of counting that only uses just the first A digits, with numbers going straight from 9 to 10.

Each digit represents a power of A, rather than a power of 10 so, for example, 234 represents 2*A*A + 3*A + 4 = C8 + 1E + 4 = EA. Similarly, 42 represents the number 2A.

With practice, calculation can be done without converting back to hex first.

Dec"i*mal (?), a. [F. d'ecimal (cf. LL. decimalis), fr. L. decimus tenth, fr. decem ten. See Ten, and cf. Dime.]

Of or pertaining to decimals; numbered or proceeding by tens; having a tenfold increase or decrease, each unit being ten times the unit next smaller; as, decimal notation; a decimal coinage.

Decimal arithmetic, the common arithmetic, in which numeration proceeds by tens. -- Decimal fraction, a fraction in which the denominator is some power of 10, as , , and is usually not expressed, but is signified by a point placed at the left hand of the numerator, as 2, 25. -- Decimal point, a dot or full stop at the left of a decimal fraction. The figures at the left of the point represent units or whole numbers, as 1.05.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dec"i*mal, n.

A number expressed in the scale of tens; specifically, and almost exclusively, used as synonymous with a decimal fraction.

Circulating, ∨ Circulatory, decimal, a decimal fraction in which the same figure, or set of figures, is constantly repeated; as, 0.354354354; -- called also recurring decimal, repeating decimal, and repetend.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.