Cool Man Eddie says Hey, sweet! A guest user digs December 3, 2007!
Cool Man Eddie says Hey, sweet! Someone likes December 3, 2007!

Hi, I'm rootbeer277. You may remember me from such editor logs as Editor Log: September 2006 and Editor Log: November 2005. But now, like Troy McClure, I'm a mere washed-up shell of my former self forced into doing public service announcements for a few quick XP and as a desperate attempt to keep my name in the media.

Today we're going to talk about one of E2's undocumented features. We know E2 has several of these, such as My Achievements, Multiple Scratch Pad Viewer, Node Tracker, and E2 Sperm Counter, typically added when and as the administration around here has time to spare to expand E2's feature base. Unfortunately, getting them to actually document the features is about as difficult as getting them to comment their code! Heh heh.

Our latest edition is another Cool Man Eddie feature. If you log out and look at any node, you'll see a new link that says I like it! near the C!s. This is a Guest User feature that allows non-users to let an E2 author know that one of the thousands of anonymous visitors to the site likes your work. You may get several messages in a row, because from Guest User's perspective, the link doesn't do anything at all. It simply reloads the page without giving any feedback as to its function. This may lead Guest User to think the link is broken.

Since this has been causing no small amount of confusion in the chatterbox, I thought it would be good to have a central location to direct users for an explanation. Root log: December 2007 has a one-line description, but I thought something more in-depth was required.

Currently there does not seem to be a way to turn off notification in your user settings, but I have no doubts that this feature will be added soon.

Thank you, and remember to have your pets spayed or neutered.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.