If you missed Lord Brawl's Editor Log entry for December 2005, go read it now.

I'm not interested in being an Editor or a God, but I'm answering the questions anyway because Lord Brawl made me stop and think about why I'm here. That's always a good thing.

Five nodes that epitomise what's special about Everything2

Speeches and Debates Metanode
Daylogs
State of the Union Address
I am a pot roast
No one can be unhappy with a fresh box of crayons

We are history and people and community -- the past, present and future.

Three of your writeups of which you are proud

Heifer International. It was my first write up. I was lucky; nearly everyone has their first write up destroyed. Mine wasn't. Not because I'm some great and wonderful writer -- I'm not. I spent a long time reading this website and learning how this crazy, wonderful, amazing place works. That's common-sense advice to all new noders: read. Then read some more. Climb into the catbox and say hello (something I didn't do for a long time). Then read some more and then take the plunge and write. You might still get nuked the first time out, but it won't hurt so much because you'll know why.

Vote. This is also my most highly C!'d write up, but that's not why it's my favorite. It's a part of who I am. Expressing who I am isn't easy for me. I guess that's also why my favorite write ups are both factuals and gtky: that's who I am too. But the gtky-side of me is harder to express than the factual side. With Vote, I combined both, and I think I did it well.

Brother Johnathan. Because it was something I didn't know -- I learned something new.

Three writeups for the newbies

Everything FAQ, but if you're in a hurry, E2 Quick Start.

A day in the life of Everything, Kansas. Sadly, Everything, Kansas seems to be gone.

CIA World Factbook - Hell.

That's only a small part of why I'm here. There are so many other reasons.

The greatest moments in my E2 experience didn't come when I was chung, though it's still a huge thrill and always will be, but when I could C! someone else. I went with one of my favorite people here at E2, when I distributed my first C! I had warned him once that I would C! him to hell and back given the chance. Reviewing my C! list, it looks like I have. His work also epitomises what so special about this place -- learning is fun.

This is a person I've never met, and probably never will. But when the word was spread, earlier this year, that he was very ill, I felt like I had been punched in the gut. When word was spread all was well, I felt enormous relief. Several other people have been gravely ill this year and my reaction to their illnesses was the same. This is something people new to Everything need to understand: Everything is about the people. From time to time we may get bogged down in levels up or down and experience votes, in politics and grammar and other forms of pendantic tail chasing, but that only adds to the fun. Everything is about the people. And that's why I'm here.

The other questions:

At what time or times are you typically active on e2 and accessible for user questions and help?

Eastern US business hours. I have the world's most boring job. If it wasn't for E2, I'd have gone postal 4 years ago. I don't usually log in from home at night or on the weekends.

Are you an active member of the Mentoring team, or if not, would you be willing to join?

I'm not a member of the mentoring team and I don't think I'd be qualified to be one. I'm not much of a writer. If anyone needs help with spelling, spot-checking, fact-checking, I'm always available.

Are you a subject matter expert to whom the admin team can go for content advice? If so, in what area(s)?

Jill of all trades, mistress of none.

Are you a leader or an active, contributing member of any e2 usergroups?

Not that it's active, but I'm the leader of Mythos; I am a member of E2Psychology; Ninjagirl! Hear me purr.

As I said in the beginning of this, I'm not interested in $ or @. If someone wants or needs my help, I'm happy to offer it. But that's not what this is about. Thanks, Lord Brawl, for reminding me to take stock. Thanksgiving doesn't have to come only once a year.

I filled out Lord Brawl's bio questionnaire right after I read it. Before I jump into the questions, I have two things to say. 1.) I think it would be a great experience to be an editor, and I think I could do a good job of it in subject areas about which I know a fair bit (video games, science fiction, programming, other assorted geek things). 2.) My enjoyment and continued presence here is in no way contingent on somebody giving me magic buttons.


List 3 to 5 writeups that epitomize what's special about everything2.

  1. Ed Stories - sam512 wrote a wonderful sci-fi epic set in a believable world. The stories are mostly self-contained, and each individual piece is short enough to read in its entirety in one sitting. Sam, if you're reading this, you don't have to hurry, but please finish this story. I'm dying to know how it ends.

  2. Cap'n Crunch - Some factuals are boring. This is not one of those factuals. Nodes full of facts can be very entertaining, and this a great example of that.

  3. Gals Panic - A great factual with a fun mood. It's okay to write as though you're actually talking to the reader, and this node is stronger for it.

  4. Embedded System - What could have been a very dull explanation of what embedded systems are is given life and a humorous sense of urgency by glindsey. Not only was I entertained, but I learned something, too.

List 2 or 3 writeups with which you're most pleased

  1. A Modest Video Game Proposal - It was difficult to appear impartial here (as I personally think that Jack Thompson is crazy), but it was my goal to present the facts of this debacle, and I think I accomplished that.

  2. square brackets - This is the most difficult node I've ever written. I needed it to be funny because I only really had a paragraph's worth of information. Humor is hard. If you're good at it, please share with the rest of us.

  3. Carcassonne - This is one of my favorite games, and this node was a joy to write. Reading this (and its predecessor) makes me want to play the game again. Every time. Without fail.

List 2 or 3 writeups to which you would point users as an example of "how to write for e2."

  1. Everything FAQ - Everything is there, and everybody should read it at least once. Although, I really like the idea of making a short presentation for new noders that has been bouncing around the forum, too.

  2. Embedded System - Set a tone, and stick with it. This node works because it's slightly off-kilter the entire time. Tone and mood add more to a node than perfect grammar ever will. You can /msg grammar fixes, but it's a lot harder to just "fix" the style of a piece.

  3. A Modest Video Game Proposal - Be impartial when the situation calls for it. Also, always remember to cite your sources and references.

When are you available on e2?
Assuredly, Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM Pacific time. I'm on other times, too, but I can pretty well guarantee that one in my current situation.

Are you a mentor? If not, why?
I am on the mentoring team (unless I misunderstood the /msg), but I have no mentees as yet.

Are you a subject matter expert?
I know a fair bit about video games, science fiction, programming, Star Trek, HTML, formatting, and miscellaneous nerd stuff.

Are you active in any user groups?
I am an active member of VideoGames. I listen to the conversations in iNode and Veggie2, but I don't usually have much to contribute there (so far I've only got an iPod, and my wife is the vegetarian on team Last).

Is there anything else you'd like the world to know?
This place is many different things to many different people. To some, e2 is people; to others, it is a writer's haven. I think it's a combination of the two. Sometimes I go for weeks without writing anything. That's because I'm in the chatterbox. Man, do I ever love the chatterbox. Where else could you go from talking about how great boobies are to talking about why men don't wear dresses to work to talking about meter maids with questionable morals?

So, what is e2 to me? E2 is fun, and I think that's enough.

Productive shopping trips have been difficult to orchestrate this time around. I mean Christmas shopping, of course. Up until last night, my only success has been online. The best of intentions can be frustrated by the simple lack of planning.

Last night, my spouse and I decided that we absolutely must complete a significant part of our list. We travelled directly to the mall from our offices and sat down to dinner, which turned out to work beautifully. It gave us a chance to sit and talk, and to devise a strategy. We have had similar discussions in the past before leaving home, but the details are inevitably lost somewhere between the living room and the parking lot. Launching from our base of operations in the food court, we did pleasingly well.

A note on malls: It is imperative to arrive with a surplus of chi, because these places have a terrible negative energy differential and will suck the life right out of you. Last night I did okay, but could possibly have lost my soul had I not left in time. I don't know where those people come from or where they go when the mall closes, but I have rarely seen such a concentration of pitiful individuals. A keen eye can read the pain on their souls. I thoroughly hold it against them that their façades convey such confidence and disdain. It is so easy to wish them out of the universe, but terribly ineffective.

My return home brought me painfully back to the reality of finals at school. Fall term really comes way too close to the holidays. Soon it will all be over.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.