A Short Piece about hurting Someone

It's been happening for years, my love, and you - although indeed an inestimably important catalyst - should never take it personally. It was a pressure cooker, with a twenty-eight year timer attached, and the balance between me being or breaking was so precise as to be imperceptible for a while. A cycle of deceit was the constant source of heat, and a liberal pinch of guilt helped the pressure as it built.

You didn't deserve it. I shattered your dreams, your life and your trust, but if you understand just one thing - then it's this that you must;

The thing that hurts, is that somewhere, way, way down inside -

I knew what I was doing, but could not stop myself.

De*ceit" (?), n. [OF. deceit, desait, decept (cf. deceite, deoite), fr. L. deceptus deception, fr. decipere. See Deceive.]

1.

An attempt or disposition to deceive or lead into error; any declaration, artifice, or practice, which misleads another, or causes him to believe what is false; a contrivance to entrap; deception; a wily device; fraud.

Making the ephah small and the shekel great, and falsifying the balances by deceit. Amos viii. 5.

Friendly to man, far from deceit or guile. Milton.

Yet still we hug the dear deceit. N. Cotton.

2. Law

Any trick, collusion, contrivance, false representation, or underhand practice, used to defraud another. When injury is thereby effected, an action of deceit, as it called, lies for compensation.

Syn. -- Deception; fraud; imposition; duplicity; trickery; guile; falsifying; double-dealing; stratagem. See Deception.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.