1991 compilation album featuring various artists performing original Grateful Dead songs to benefit the Rainforest Action Network and Cultural Survival. Executive producer Ralph Sall and A&R guy Roy Lott began the project as a way to call attention to the great original songwriting behind the band's legendary longevity and cult following.

I bought this album solely for the Indigo Girls' cover of "Uncle John's Band", which I heard on Vin Scelsa's Idiot's Delight radio show one night. One song is rarely enough to move me to buy an entire album, so this is high praise. Other songs of note include Elvis Costello's interpretation of "Ship of Fools", Suzanne Vega's rendition of "Cassidy" and the Jane's Addiction cover of "Ripple". Lyle Lovett's version of "Friend of the Devil" was too slow for my taste, but on the whole this is an excellent CD to throw into a shuffle mix. Deadicated's liner notes, in which the artists discuss their choice of songs or relationship to the Dead in general, are pretty cool as well.

Track List

  1. Los Lobos, Bertha
  2. Bruce Hornsby & the Range, Jack Straw
  3. The Harshed Mellows, U.S. Blues
  4. Elvis Costello, Ship of Fools
  5. Suzanne Vega, China Doll
  6. Suzanne Vega, Cassidy
  7. Dwight Yoakam, Truckin'
  8. Warren Zevon with David Lindley, Casey Jones
  9. Indigo Girls, Uncle John's Band
  10. Lyle Lovett, Friend of the Devil
  11. Cowboy Junkies, To Lay Me Down
  12. Midnight Oil, Wharf Rat
  13. Burning Spear, Estimated Prophet
  14. Dr. John, Deal
  15. Jane's Addiction, Ripple

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.