De Anza College is a community college in Cupertino, California (Silicon Valley). From the blurb:

Nestled at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains, the college was named after Spanish explorer Juan Bautista de Anza. The college is one of the largest, single-campus community colleges in the country with a fall enrollment averaging 26,000 students. Operating on the quarter system, De Anza offers courses throughout the year during the day and evening and on weekends.

De Anza ranks among the top three community colleges in the United States for the number of Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degrees awarded. In addition, the college has guaranteed admission and transfer agreements with 15 four-year colleges and universities in nearly 100 fields of study. At any given time, more than half of De Anza's students are enrolled in 30 career and technical programs which include 46 different options.

De Anza, one of two community colleges in the Foothill - De Anza Community College District, opened its doors in 1967 to serve Santa Clara Valley, particularly Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Los Altos, San Jose and the greater Silicon Valley. There is a total of 550 permanent (contract) employees - 290 faculty members, 220 classified staff members, and 40 managers - and many additional part-time faculty and staff members.

A popular community college of about 24,000 students located in Cupertino founded in 1967 that is ranked amongst the top schools in the state of California for sending many a students transferring to a better school in the UC or CSU system.

Some notable things are that all the buildings are done in a Spanish-style motif where you see a lot of rounded off posts bearing the roof (hence the logo).

There's an Advanced Technology Center housing many PC's for personal use plus many SGI O2 systems for the Design majors and including various video-editing hardware. Something interesting is that there's a tiny tribute to all that is Apple goodness right in the middle of the ATC building lobby. Apparently Apple likes De Anza.

There are various other majors ranging from nursing to industrial design to life-guard training. The campus also houses the Flint Center, which is a bustling culture epicenter in Cupertino for things like Nutcracker the Play to Riverdance performances to the San Jose Wind Symphony performing.

Other notable events included the bomb threat in 2001 by Al Joseph DeGuzman which is either one of the biggest fodders in history or a pitiful and desperate cry for help.

The school is currently being remodeled and is very high-tech, students are given student body cards with smart chips on them for use. There are high speed computers everywhere and all the registration and application process are digital for efficiency and speed though that just might be a moot point.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.