I started listening to Dave Douglas in 1999 at the urging of a friend in Eugene, Oregon. He was busy turning me on at the time to DJ Krush, Yo-La Tengo and Masada. He knew of my deep-seated passion for improvised music in general and jazz in particular, so one day he handed me a Dave Douglas disk. It was beautiful... with a sense of humor wraped into the music and the best trumpet llines I had heard since Bitches Brew era Miles Davis. If you like jazz... if you like the Jamband scene then I whole-heartedly reccomend Dave Douglas.
_______________________________________________________

Dave Douglas made his solo recording debut in 1993 with "Parallel Worlds" on the Soul Note label. Later that year he produced the Tiny Bell Trio's self-titled first recording.

In the years since, Douglas has released fifteen CDs with eight different working ensembles. He has been named trumpeter, composer, and jazz artist of the year by such organizations as the New York Jazz Awards, Down Beat, Jazz Times, and the Italian Jazz Critics' Society.

Born March 24, 1963, in Montclair, New Jersey, Douglas started playing piano at age five and trombone at seven before discovering the trumpet two years later. He learned jazz and classical harmony in high school and began playing improvised music as an exchange student in Barcelona, Spain in 1978. From 1981 to 1983, Douglas studied in Boston at the Berklee School of Music and the New England Conservatory; he cites Igor Stravinsky, John Coltrane, and Stevie Wonder as the primary influences on his music. Moving to New York City in 1984, he attended New York University, studying trumpet with Carmine Caruso. From 1987 to 1990 he toured internationally with Horace Silver and the Bread and Puppet Theater of Vermont.

He also maintains an important ongoing musical relationship as a member of John Zorn's Masada.

In early 2000, Douglas released his most recent CDs: one entitled "Leap of Faith" as his last record on Arabesque Recordings and "Soul on Soul: celebrating Mary Lou Williams." as his first record on RCA Victor. "A Thousand Evenings" the second recording with his group Charms of the Night Sky was released on RCA Victor in October 2000. His next recording will be released on RCA in September 2001 with his ensemble Witness.
_____________________________________________

Discography as a band leader:
(in format of DISK NAME, BAND NAME, DATE AND RECORD COMPANY)
_____________________________________________

A Thousand Evenings - Charms of the Night Sky 2000, RCA Victor
Soul on Soul-Celebrating Mary Lou Williams - Sextet 2000, RCA Victor
Leap of Faith - Quartet 2000,Arabesque Records
Songs for Wandering Souls - Tiny Bell Trio 1999 Winter & Winter
Convergence - Parallel Worlds - 1999 Soul Note
Charms of the Night Sky - Charms of the Night Sky 1999Winter & Winter
Magic Triangle - Quartet 1998 Arabesque Records
Moving Portrait - Moving Portrait 1998 DIW
Stargazer - Sextet 1997 Arabesque Records
Live in Europe - Tiny Bell Trio 1997 Arabesque Records
Sanctuary - Sanctuary 1997 Avant
Five - Parallel Worlds 1996 Soul Note
Constellations - Tiny Bell Trio 1995 Hat Art
In Our Lifetime - Sextet 1995 New World
Tiny Bell Trio - Tiny Bell Trio 1994 Songlines
Parallel Worlds - Parallel Worlds 1994 Soul Note

______________________________________________

discography and bio info edited from www.davedouglas.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.