a data storage products company based in Westboro, Massachusetts, recently eaten by a bigger fish, EMC.

It's main products are the AViiON line of servers, and the CLARiiON line of storage systems.

They also have their own version of Unix, that they call, predictably, DG/UX.

Data General was started by some deserters from Digital back in the 1960s. There was a lot of hostility about it at the time; years later, the president of Digital was still fuming, by some accounts.

Back in the day, Data General made minicomputers, and they basically lived and died with that market, just like Digital did, but with less success when times were good. And they seem to have outlived Digital as an independent entity, by a few years anyhow.

Data General positioned themselves as the "badasses" of the minicomputer market. They were fiercely competitive and relatively cheap. Things turned sour when Digital introduced the VAX: Data General had no 32-bit machine to compete with it, and they took far too long to get one out the door. By the time they did, they'd gotten killed in the market. The journalist Tracy Kidder wrote a classic book about the the 32-bit "fend-off-the-VAX" project at Data General: The Soul of a New Machine.

The Soul of a New Machine is most of what Data General is remembered for. They were a footnote. But bear this in mind: The founders still got rich.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.