Magnificent location, great pub, wonderful view

I like Hotels. The more unusual the better. I like the feeling of arriving somewhere, drop my luggage in my room and knowing that somebody out there will be looking after and trying to pamper me. So, knowing that one of the remotest hotels in New Zealand was open during the winter, I bundled my significant other into my old banger of a car and made the difficult journey over Dansey's Pass towards the famous Dansey's Pass Coach Inn. This gravel road connects the Maniototo with North Otago via 30 km of steep curves, scary ravines and some truly terrifying sheep. Unpassable without a 4x4 and snow chains during winter, we were lucky to pick a beautiful day in June to make the trip beneath towering mountaintops and the odd cow.

This beautiful brick building was built in 1862 above Naseby in the Maniototo to provide coaching - parties on their way to and from Tokarahi with rest and food. Still mainly around for that exact purpose, but just catering for a more international audience, it advertises to provide "utmost comfort in sensitive, authentic refurbishing".

When we arrived on a sunny weekday afternoon, the place was deserted apart from a cook and a couple having a snack. The food was ok'ish, but there was no beer on tap, and the whole thing was quite dear for a hotel in Otago.

As the pub itself is gorgeous (huge fireplace, very comfy sofas and good chips) I would advise you to spend a nice evening in front of the fire, sipping a beer.


Dansey's Pass Coach Inn,
Naseby, RD2
New Zealand
www.danseyspass.co.nz

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.