Democratic Senator from Hawaii

Senator Daniel Kahikina Akaka was born September 11 in Honolulu, Hawaii. He is the first U.S. Senator of Native Hawaiian ancestry and is the only Chinese American member of the Senate. His wife is Mary Mildred Chong (Millie) the were married, 1948. Their children are: Mrs. Millannie Mattson, Daniel K. Akara Jr., Gerard K. Akara, Alan L. Akara, and Nicholas K. Akara. They have 14 grandchildren, and one great-grandson. Akara is a Congregationalist with the Kawaiahao Church.

Akara attended The Kamehameha School for Boys, 1942; University of Hawaii where he received a Bachelor of Education, 1952; a Professional CertificateSecondary Education, 1953; a Professional CertificateSchool Administration, 1961 and a Master of Education, 1966. He served in the military in World War IIU.S. Army Corps of Engineers (including service on Saipan and Tinian) from 1945-47.

Jobs before entering congress

Senator Akaka has served in the United States Senate since May 1990. He serves on the Armed Services Committee, Energy and Natural Resources Committee, Governmental Affairs Committee (GAC), Veterans' Affairs Committee, Indian Affairs committee and the Select Committee on Ethics.

He has promoted ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

His website and contact info is: 141 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington Dc 20510
(202) 224-6361
senator@akaka.senate.gov
http://www.senate.gov/~akara

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.