Dana Carvey is a lovable, goofy comedian with an amazing talent for impressions. He is most famous for his appearances on Saturday Night Live, but has also been involved in other television productions and several films, and he has continued to perform live throughout most of his career.

Carvey was born on June 2, 1955, in Missoula, Montana. When he was ten years old his family relocated to the San Francisco area, where he later attended college at San Francisco State, studying Communications Arts. Dana was shy in his youth, and did not begin performing until he was 21 years old, making his first public appearance at a small club in Berkeley.

His first appearance on the big screen was a small part in Halloween II, released in 1981. After taking a few other film and televison roles (including a part in This is Spinal Tap in 1984), Carvey then joined the cast of Saturday Night Live in 1986. It was there that he became renowned for his hilarious performances as characters like the Church Lady, Wayne's World co-host Garth, and Hans of the "pump you up" duo Hans and Franz. In addition, Carvey was uncannily good at impressions of figures such as former president George Bush, Ross Perot, Regis Philbin, Johnny Carson, and (my personal favorite from his repertoire) Jimmy Stewart. Carvey was honored for his outstanding television comedy with an Emmy in 1993 for Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program. He has received six Emmy nominations, total.

His excellence on SNL led to his appearance in the movies Wayne's World and Wayne's World 2, both of which were extremely successful. As Garth, Carvey has a few priceless scenes, the best of which is a dream sequence involving a pretty girl, the song "Foxy Lady", and lots of pelvic thrusting and faux fox ears.

After leaving the cast of SNL in 1992, Carvey appeared in several new movies, but continued to make guest appearances on the show, even hosting it a few times. He also wrote and recorded a fantastic comedy show called "Dana Carvey: Critics Choice" in 1995 that will bring tears of mirth to the eyes of the grouchiest soul. With its humorous pokes at the O.J. Simpson trial, politics, rock and roll, and fatherhood, this is my favorite of Dana's performances.

In the late 90's Carvey faded from the public view when he began to have heart problems associated with angina. He had three angioplasties and a double bypass to attempt to correct the problem, only to discover that his surgeon had bypassed the wrong artery. A fourth angioplasty was, thankfully, successful. There was a multi-million dollar malpractice suit against the surgeon who botched the first operations, which was settled. Afterward, Carvey became a sort of activist for the prevention and proper treatment of heart disease, and hosted a benefit for the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Heart Fund, among other things.

Carvey is a family man, with a wife and two sons. They live in northern California, away from the "Hollywood" lifestyle and happy with their peace and quiet. Except for, presumably, when they get a little crazy and start chopping broccoli.


Actor Filmography Writer Filmography
  • Master of Disguise, The (2002) (written by)
  • "Dana Carvey Show, The" (1996) TV Series (writer)
  • Dana Carvey: Critics' Choice (1995) (TV)
TV Guest Appearances
  • "Saturday Night Live" playing "Host" (episode # 26.3) 21 October 2000
  • "LateLine" (1998) playing "Sen. Crowl Pickens" in episode: "Protecting the Source" (episode # 2.2) 13 January 1999
  • "Just Shoot Me!" (1997) playing "Oskar Milos" in episode: "The Emperor" (episode # 2.22) 23 April 1998
  • "LateLine" (1998) playing "Senator Crowl Pickens" in episode: "Pilot" (episode # 1.1) 17 March 1998
  • "Larry Sanders Show, The" (1992) playing "Himself" in episode: "The Roast" (episode # 5.12) 19 February 1997
  • "Saturday Night Live" playing "Host" (episode # 22.4) 26 October 1996
  • "Larry Sanders Show, The" (1992) playing "Himself" in episode: "Hank's New Assistant" (episode # 4.2) 26 July 1995
  • "Saturday Night Live" playing "Host" (episode # 20.4) 22 October 1994
  • "Larry Sanders Show, The" (1992) playing "Himself" in episode: "The Guest Host" (episode # 1.4) 5 September 1992

Sources:
http://www.danacarvey.net
http://www.imdb.com/Name?Carvey,+Dana

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.