Paraphrased from a Seattle resident who wanted to explain the glorious and infamous Capital Hill Autonomous Zone:

Amidst a series of erratic and contradictory moves from the mayor and the police chief that resemble someone at a control board frantically pushing buttons at random, the police completely abandoned an area they had been tear-gassing for the past week, as a child who picks up their ball and goes home, or an abusive partner who runs away in order to get their victim to beg for their return.

The people within this neighborhood said "alright good deal" and jokingly referred to the place as an "autonomous zone", and when the joke hit Twitter it became a meme.

But that's mostly what it is. Outside of Seattle it's a dream to warm the heart of a marxist and threaten the worldview of a monarchist; inside Seattle it's a bunch of people milling around a park like they would have been doing on any warm summer weekend, except that this time they're joking about having run the cops out of town. There's no barricades, there's no Revolutionary Leader, there's no list of demands, there's no articles of secession, there's no supply problems, it's not some kind of micronation. It's a neighborhood going about their business with a new in-joke to tell each other.

And the news reports are going wild about this fabled autonomous zone like it's a real threat. So for example, There's a news headline about how the local police are trying to find the "leader of the CHAZ".

Well they're not, and even if they did they'd spend eternity looking. Kind of hard to find a leader of a movement when it doesn't have one and doesn't exist. I mean you could grab someone and torture him to make everyone else in the neighborhood scared, but if they weren't actually making any political moves and they're not responsible for the police being gone then trying to scare the neighborhood into submission would be like trying to batter down an open door.

Also Trump is making noise about sending the army in to conquer this upstart nation-state and while it would be scary if he actually got anyone to do that, it would also be hilarious if a bunch of soldiers marched into The Zone and found literally nothing

Or, more likely, they would march into The Zone and then keep going out the other end because they thought they hadn't found it yet.

That's about how the situation is playing out between the news reports and the reality. Missed it by a mile, guys. Circle around and try again.


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.