Dale (Ducky) Hawerchuk (April 4, 1963 - pres..), professional hockey player.

Dale Hawerchuk first achieved notoriety as a teenager playing for the Cornwall Royals of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, twice leading his team to victory in the Memorial Cup and twice garnering league MVP honors.

Hawerchuk was selected first overall by the Winnipeg Jets in the 1981 NHL entry draft. At a ceremony held at Winnipeg's historic Portage and Main intersection, Hawerchuk signed his first contract with the club. He immediately caught on with the club, setting several club records and winning the Calder Memorial Trophy (awarded to the top rookie in the NHL) that year. Dale served as the Jets' leader, on the scoresheet (notching six 100-point seasons with the club), in the locker room (as the team captain) and to the hockey world in general (representing Canada internationally six times as a professional).

In 1990, Hawerchuck was traded in a major deal to the Buffalo Sabres. He played five seasons in Buffalo, New York, leading team scoring three times. After serving a brief stint with the St. Louis Blues, Hawerchuk was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers near the end of the 1995-96 season.

Hawerchuk retired after the 1996-97 season, compiling 518 goals and 1409 total points in 1188 regular season games, and 30 goals and 99 points in 97 playoff games. A five-time NHL all-star, he was elected to the The Hockey Hall of Fame in 2001.


Sources:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net
http://www.flyershistory.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.