(Hinduism, Gaudiya Vaishnavism; Bengali)

Dainyatmika
(A Humble Prayer)

by Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura

(1)
emona durmati, samsara bhitare
poriya achinu ami
taba nija-jana, kono mahajane
pathaiya dile tumi

O Lord! I was such an evil person and had fallen into the deepest depths of material life. Then you were so kind that you sent me one of your intimiate associates [= sri guru], a great authority on spiritual life.

(2)
daya kori' more, patita dekhiya
kohilo amare giya
ohe dina-jana, suno bhalo katha
ullasita habe hiya

This great person [a mahajana] saw how fallen I was and took compassion on me. He said: "O unfortunate one! Listen to me, I have some good news that will make your heart joyful."

(3)
tomare tarite, sri krsna-caitanya
nabadvipe avatar
toma heno kata, dina hina jane,
korilena bhava-par

In order to deliver you, Sri Krishna Chaitanya has descended to the city of Navadvipa. He has helped so many unfortunate and fallen people like yourself cross over the ocean of material life.

(4)
vedera pratijña, rakhibara tare,
rukma-varna vipra-suta
mahaprabhura name, nadiya mataya
sange bhai avadhuta

In order to fulfill the Vedic prophecy, he has appeared in a brahmana family with a golden skin colour. Named Mahaprabhu, he enlives the entire town of Navadvipa in the company of his older brother, Nityananda Avadhuta.

(5)
nanda suta jini, caitanya gosañi
nija-nama kori' dana
tailo jagat, tumi-o jaiya
loho nija-paritrana

He who is the son of Nanda Maharaja has now appeared as Chaitanya Gosai, making a gift of his own holy name. By so doing, he has delivered the universe. Now you too should go to him and assure your own salvation.

(6)
se katha suniya, asiyachi, natha!
tomara carana-tale
bhakativinoda, kandiya kandiya
apana-kahini bale

Upon hearing this message, I came here to take shelter of your lotus feet, O Master! Crying profusely, I, Bhaktivinoda, am telling you the story of my life.


<< Back to "Vaishnava Prayers & Songs"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.