Dance Oriented Rock. A short-lived music industry marketing category (circa 1980-1981), but an important one, as the suits tried to wring a profit from their failed Disco investments. It marked the passing of "new wave" into the mainstream. Record companies brought out 12" remixes of tunes by bands like Talking Heads, The Clash, and The B-52's (whose US label, Warner Bros., even hastily assembled a long EP of remixes -- Party Mix!), and they had hits in the dance music charts, and radio airplay in odd places, like New York's WBLS -- a delicious case of culture shock as one cruised thru the Bronx in search of cheeba. See also: T-Funk.

Dor (?), n. [Cf. AS. dora drone, locust, D. tor beetle, L. taurus a kind of beetle. Cf. Dormouse.] Zool.

A large European scaraboid beetle (Geotrupes stercorarius), which makes a droning noise while flying. The name is also applied to allied American species, as the June bug. Called also dorr, dorbeetle, or dorrbeetle, dorbug, dorrfly, and buzzard clock.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dor, n. [Cf. Dor a beetle, and Hum, Humbug.]

A trick, joke, or deception.

Beau. & Fl.

To give one the dor, to make a fool of him. [Archaic]

P. Fletcher.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dor, v. t.

To make a fool of; to deceive.

[Obs.] [Written also dorr.]

B. Jonson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.