A merit badge
for Boy scouts
. This is a required badge for Eagle
. Taken from meritbadge.com:
- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while cycling,
including hypothermia, heatstroke, heat exhaustion, frostbite, dehydration, sunburn,
insect stings, tick bites, snakebite, blisters, and hyperventilation.
- Clean and adjust a bicycle. Prepare it for inspection using a bicycle safety checklist.
Be sure the bicycle meets local laws.
- Show your bicycle to your counselor for inspection. Point out the adjustments or repairs
you have made. Do the following:
- Show all points that need oiling regularly.
- Show the points that should be checked regularly to make sure the bicycle is safe to
- Show how to adjust brakes, seat level and height, and steering post.
- Describe how to brake safely with foot brakes and with hand brakes.
- Show how to repair a flat. Use an old bicycle tire.
- Take a road test with your counselor and demonstrate the following:
- Proper mounting, pedaling, and braking including emergency stops.
- On an urban street with light traffic, properly execute a left turn from the center of
the street; also demonstrate an alternate left turn technique used during periods of heavy
- Properly execute a right turn.
- Demonstrate appropriate actions at a right-turn-only lane when you are continuing
- Show proper curbside and road-edge riding. Show how to ride safely along a row of parked
- Cross railroad tracks properly.
- Describe your state's traffic laws for bicycles. Compare them with motor-vehicle laws.
Know the bicycle-safety guidelines.
- Avoiding main highways, take two rides of ten miles each, two rides of fifteen miles
each, and two rides of twenty-five miles each. You must make a report of the rides taken.
List dates, routes traveled, and interesting things seen.
|Bicycle must have all required safety features. It must be registered as required by
your local traffic laws.
- After fulfilling requirement 8, lay out on a road map a 50-mile trip. Stay away from
main highways. Using your map, make this ride in 8 hours.