1966- American Major League Baseball pitcher Born in Ankorage, Alaska, grew up in Arizona. He graduated from the Babe Ruth League. He spent 8 years playing for the Philadelphia Phillies. During that time he pitched in the 1993 World Series. During his time playing for the Phillies, he was taken aside by the pitcher Roger Clemens who told him he had talent but needed to work harder to make it pay off. Curt took Roger's advice and the rest is history.

In 1997 he set a National League record for right-handed pitchers with 319 strikeouts and tied Sandy Koufax (1963) for fewest walks (58) in a 300-strikeout season.

He was traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks in 1999. After his shoulder surgery in December, Schilling was told it would require a year for him to get back to full strength.

At this point, he's the definition of a "Power Pitcher". He can throw a fastball in the 92-96 MPH range, a split-finger pitch and a slider. He is known to spend hours studying video of every batter he ever faced looking for things he can improve.

Curt played a pivotal role in the 2001 World Series when the Diamondbacks played the New York Yankees. He pitched 3 of the 7 games and put in nearly flawless perfomances in all. The Dbacks won the series and Curt and his sidekick Randy Johnson were awarded together the Most Valuable Player for the series.

The Diamondbacks gave him a three-year, $32 million contract extension in December that will keep Schilling in Arizona through 2004.

Curt is a big baseball memorabilia collector and has a tremendous appreciation for the history of the game. He's also active in a number of causes, he has helped raise $1.5 million for Lou Gehrig's Disease. In 1996, Curt was named Baseball's Most Caring Athlete by USA TODAY Weekend magazine.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.