These cookies are excellent appetizers or snacks, but are most remarkable because they are curry cookies. They're also really good!

Preheat the oven to 350° Farenheit or 177° Celsius.

You will need:

  • 60g, 2oz, or 1/4 cup of butter
  • 60g, 2oz, or 1/4 cup of cream cheese
  • 40ml+, or 2+1 tablespoons of milk
  • 240g, 8 oz, or 1 cup of flour
  • 5ml, or 1 teaspoon of curry (add more if you like curry!)
  • 1.25ml, or 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 pinch of cayenne
  • 60g, 2oz, or 1/4 cup of grated cheese
  • 15-20ml, or 1 tablespoon of extra milk

First, cream the butter and cream cheese together. It may be helpful to warm the butter up a bit, so it's not quite melting. You probably won't need to bother if you use an electric mixer. Either way, when that's nicely combined, add 2 tablespoons of milk and stir the mixture until it is well mixed.

Mix the flour, curry, salt, and cayenne together and stir them into the butter and cream cheese mixture. When I made this recipie, I found that there wasn't enough moisture. While perusing the Everything Kitchen Conversion Table later, I realised that this was because the recipe was Australian in origin and their tablespoons are not the same. How odd. If you are not Australian, fix this by adding an additional tablespoon of milk. This is overcompensating slightly, but is about the amount that worked for me. When you have a firm dough, knead it until smooth. Be careful not to over-mix, as tough cookies are a real threat.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. It should be quite thin; the cookies will rise a little bit in the oven. Cut the dough into rounds using a small glass or a circular cookie cutter. (Or mix it up and make curry cookies shapped like hippopotami.)

Brush the tops of the cookies lightly with the extra 1 tablespoon of milk, and sprinkle grated cheese on them. I grated just enough cheese to cover about half of the surface of each cookie, rather than the prescribed 1/4 cup, and it worked out well.

Bake the cookies for 15 minutes. Cool before eating, unless you are impatient and do not mind burnt tongues. Enjoy. They are cookies, and they are curry, and it is good.

Original source: The Australian Women's Weekly Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits.
Edits to the ingredient list are made in parentheses, and the instructions are original.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.