1. To defer payment, usually with no intention of paying; to take on credit by force or intimidation. 2. To give a verbal promise to pay. 3. To swindle, especially installment houses. 4. To handcuff. "Me and Jimmy-run-'em-dizzy snatched the slum poke (jeweler's wallet) and cuffed the dude (fellow) to a tree."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Cuff (k?f), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cuffed (kft); p. pr. & vb. n. Cuffing.] [Cf. Sw. kuffa to knock, push,kufva to check, subdue, and E. cow, v. t. ]

1.

To strike; esp., to smite with the palm or flat of the hand; to slap.

I swear I'll cuff you, if you strike again. Shak.

They with their quills did all the hurt they could, And cuffed the tender chickens from their food. Dryden.

2.

To buffet.

"Cuffed by the gale."

Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cuff, v. i.

To fight; to scuffle; to box.

While the peers cuff to make the rabble sport. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cuff, n.

A blow; esp.,, a blow with the open hand; a box; a slap.

Snatcheth his sword, and fiercely to him flies; Who well it wards, and quitten cuff with cuff. Spenser.

Many a bitter kick and cuff. Hudibras.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cuff, n. [Perh. from F. coiffe headdress, hood, or coif; as if the cuff were a cap for the hand. Cf. Coif.]

1.

The fold at the end of a sleeve; the part of a sleeve turned back from the hand.

He would visit his mistress in a morning gown, band,short cuffs, and a peaked beard. Arbuthnot.

2.

Any ornamental appendage at the wrist, whether attached to the sleeve of the garment or separate;especially, in modern times, such an appendage of starched linen, or a substitute for it of paper, or the like.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.