I'd had a terrible night and I was to hang out with Lee. I went to the local fruit market / deli and picked up some cocktail shrimp as a special treat for myself. I got to the apartment, and rinsed off the shrimp, put some cocktail sauce into a bowl, and went into the bathroom to change from my work clothes and try to scrub away the day. Lee was having a beer, watching television. She asked if she could have some shrimp, I told her sure, and I complained about my day, and told her about my need for the special shrimp.

When I came out of the bathroom, there were nothing but empty tails on the plate, and a smear of red sauce in the bowl. My eyes watered up, and my heart sank. That bitch had eaten every single one of my shrimp, my special treat, my method for erasing the day. As I started to cry, Lee got up and went into the kitchen.

She came back laughing. She hadn't eaten any of them. She had only pulled their tails off.

It's funny now, but I was crestfallen then.

Lee Stories

Crest"fall`en (-f?l`'n), a.

1.

With hanging head; hence, dispirited; dejected; cowed.

Let it make thee crestfullen; Ay, and allay this thy abortive pride. Shak.

2.

Having the crest, or upper part of the neck, hanging to one side; -- said of a horse.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.