60s rock band (perhaps country-rock), also known as CCR. Mostly the brainchild of guitarist/singer John Fogerty, who (to me) sounds just like CCR in his solo career, but also contained Tom Fogerty (rhythm guitar/vocals), Stu Cook (bass), and Doug Clifford (drums). They'd been playing together since they were in high school under various names, and recorded several singles as "The Golliwogs." The CCR name was adopted in December 1967.

Their first, self-titled album contained revamped Golliwogs tracks, new John Fogerty originals and rock 'n' roll standards, like 'Suzie Q' and 'I Put A Spell On You', the former hitting number 11 in the U.S. A few months later, their second album 'Bayou Country,' was a more substantial affair, establishing Fogerty as a songwriter, and the group as America's best purveyors of late 60s pop. 'Proud Mary' reached the Top 10 in both the US and UK.

The third album, 'Green River,' consolidated the group's status and contained two highly successful singles, 'Green River' and 'Bad Moon Rising.' Then came 'Willie And The Poor Boys.' By this point the group was America's leading attraction, combining commercial success with critical praise. 'Down On The Corner,' became their fifth US Top 10 single.

CCR reached the peak of their success with 'Cosmo's Factory.' It included three gold singles, 'Travellin' Band', 'Up Around The Bend' and 'Looking Out My Back Door', as well as an version of the Tamla/Motown classic 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine'. The album became 1970's best-selling LP. However, relationships between the Fogerty brothers grew increasingly strained, which was reflected in the standard of the disappointing next album 'Pendulum,' although it featured their eighth gold single in 'Have You Ever Seen The Rain.'

Tom Fogerty left for a solo career in February 1971, but although the remaining members continued to work as a trio, the band had lost much of its impetus.The band toured the US, Europe, Australia and Japan, but a seventh collection, 'Mardi Gras,' revealed an artistic impasse. John Fogerty granted Cook and Clifford a chance to contribute more, but their stuff just proved how much the group owed to John Fogerty. Creedence Clearwater Revival was officially disbanded in July 1972.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.