We both go through phases of having to eat things. Three weeks ago, lpm was needing peas. Two weeks ago, DEB just had to have smoked fish and eggs. Last week DEB ate spinach every single day. Next week, lpm might be salivating for beef. You never can tell, but when these cravings descend upon us, we take advantage. We experiment and play, and look for new ways to satisfy our food-longings.

Which is how this recipe came about. It's not something that you can eat every day — your arteries will never forgive you — but it makes frozen peas and frozen spinach a little more glamourous.

We've tried this with a variety of cheeses, but the soft salty-sweetness of dolcelatte works best for a delicate flavour.


Ingrediments to serve two as a side dish

  • 150g (5oz) frozen chopped spinach
  • 150g (5oz) frozen peas
  • A splash of oil or butter
  • 2 tbsp double cream
  • 25g (1oz) dolcelatte chopped in very small chunks
  • Squeeze of lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper


Method

Melt the butter or heat the oil (or use a mixture) in a saucepan, and add the frozen spinach. Allow it to defrost over a gentle flame. It'll take around ten minutes.

As soon as the spinach has defrosted, add the peas and heat them through.

Pour in the cream, add the cheese, and season. Be careful with the salt, because of the strength of the cheese. Allow about five minutes for the cheese to melt and the cream to thicken, then squeeze in the lemon juice and mix thoroughly.

Check it is hot throughout and it's not too salty, sharp, or sweet. There: gooey but glamourous green vegetables that go really well with grilled fish or chicken.

DEB


294

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.