Crazy Eights, also known as Crates, Switch, Swedish Rummy, Last One, or Rockaway. Some British players call it Black Jack, which is unfortunately confused with the gambling game by the same name.

  • Crazy Eights is a card game for two or more players.
  • A standard 52 card deck is used, though multiple decks may be shuffled together if there are many players.
  • The object (as with all of the Eights Group) is to get rid of the cards in your hand.
  • The dealer deals 5 cards to each player (7 if there are only two players).
  • The undealt deck is placed face down on the table, and the top card is turned over to start the discard pile.
  • Starting with the player to the left of the dealer, continuing clockwise, each player must either play a legal card face up on the discard pile, or draw a card from the deck.
  • The following plays are legal
    1. If the top card is not an 8, you may play any card which matches the top card in either suit or rank.
    2. An 8 may be played on any card, the player of the suit must declare a suit to be played next.
    3. If an 8 is on the top of the pile, any card matching the suit declared may be played.
  • The first player to get rid of all his or her cards wins, and the other players score penalty points for the cards left in the hand.
    • 50 for an 8
    • 10 for a face card
    • value of number cards (Ace is worth 1)

    Many variations exist. The most common of these variations are:

    • Instead of drawing one card, you must draw until you may make a legal which must be played immediately.
    • When you hold 1 card, you must notify other players of this state or draw a penalty.
    • Restrictions upon 8s being played - they must match just as any other card.
    • Queens skip the next player
    • Ace reverses direction of play
    • 2 causes the next player to draw two cards or play another 2.
      Consecutive 2s add up (three 2s being played cause the next person to draw six)

  • Drinking Game. Played with 3-6 people. Take standard deck of 52 cards, lay out the eights of each suit on a table. Deal the remaining cards to players. To start, someone lays a card next to the 8 - same suit, but must go in order. No skipping. eg, if there is an 8, you can lay a 7 or a 9, but not a 10. If they CAN'T, they have to lay down as close a card as they can. Then, they have to drink the "gap" - if I layed a 10 when the only card was an 8, I have to drink 3 - 10, 9, 8. Not 3 drinks - just 3 gulps. If you DO go in order, you can give the gulps to anyone, any number (up to the total of the cards in the row you layed), even to yourself. A total of 13 drinks in each suit of cards. Have a 30 pack of beer nearby, you'll use it.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.