Part of the Cranbrook educational community, Cranbrook is located about 25 miles northwest of Detroit. The non-profit educational community includes a public art museum and public science museum as well as private schools for children ages three through high school and a graduate school for art.

From http://www.cranbrook.edu :

Cranbrook Academy of Art was founded through the inspired collaboration of George Gough Booth, a Detroit newspaper baron and philanthropist, and Eliel Saarinen, the Finnish architect who occupies a major position in the history of modern American design and architecture.
. . .
the Academy was born of the Arts and Crafts concerns of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and emerged as the country's preeminent school of art, design, and architecture.
. . .
Eliel Saarinen became the first president of the Academy, in addition to acting as master architect for most of the institutions the Booths founded on their estate (adjacent to the Academy is the Institute of Science, and the Cranbrook/Kingswood Schools.) By the early 1930s, Saarinen had designed the Academy and attracted an illustrious group of artists and craftsmen, many from Europe, to work with him in informally structured groups, sharing ideas and talent. What escalated into an intense, interdisciplinary, highly creative community set the tone for the AcademyĆ­s future as it attracted such renowned artists as Carl Milles, Harry Bertoia, Charles Eames, Maija Grotell, Eero Saarinen and Florence Knoll. These and numerous other Cranbrook artists have had a major impact on twentieth-century art, design and architecture.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.