This cranberry sauce is relatively easy to prepare (although this really does depend on your skill with knives, graters, and interpreting obscure measuring units such as 'dash'). This is somewhat to be expected, I suppose, given that one of the starting ingredients is itself cranberry sauce.

Ingredients:

1 apple, peeled, diced
½ cup or so of apple cider
1 can cranberry sauce (any style)
1 orange (for zest)
2 dashes cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg

Preparation:

  1. In a medium saucepan, simmer the apple bits in enough apple cider to nearly cover them. They may try to float a little so don't force the issue. You don't want soggy sauce, anyway.
  2. De-zest the orange.
  3. Once the apples begin to lose their firmness - but are still semi-crunchy - add the canned sauce, and stir over the same heat until the apples are well mixed in. You want kind of an apple-cranberry sauce colloidal suspension, here.
  4. Stir in the zest and spices.
  5. Continue to intermittently stir until the apple cider has been mostly absorbed by the other ingredients, or the sauce starts to burp.
  6. Chill for a couple hours.
  7. Serve with a shiny silver spoon in a fancy bowl. Hopefully someone thought ahead and prepared a main course!

Yield: approximately 1 mason jar's worth.

The apple bits, orange zest, and other sundry spices all stand out on their own, making this a good sauce for almost any roast meat, stuffing, or other carbohydrate-based food you'd find on a Thanksgiving table.

You may want to start simmering the apple cider before you dice the apple to save some time. I suck with knives, so I tend to prepare the apple beforehand to avoid evaporating away all the liquid.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.