The steakhouse Maverick, in Charlottesville, Virginia (the restaurant being named after the cattleman) serves a drink they call the Cowgirl’s Dream. It consists of tequila and Rose’s lime juice, with a splash of fresh-squeezed lime, shaken with ice and strained into a martini glass. Depending on the bartender, the rim of the glass is sometimes coated with salt, as though it were a margarita.

This drink is good, but in my estimation, it lacks a certain something. If you're going to have a margarita, I say just order the margarita. I have an alternative that's less sweet: I proudly introduce the Cowgirl’s Dirty Dream. You'll need the following:

Mix equal parts of these ingredients with ice in a martini shaker (okay, you may use some more mundane container if you must.) When this concoction is sufficiently chilled (I keep the tequila in the freezer; that helps), it should be poured into a martini glass. Garnish with olives or a slice of lime. Mmmmm.

(I love salt, and salty things. As far as I know, I'm the only one who ever makes or orders this particular taste treat, but the bartenders know exactly how I like it.)

Enjoy.

Whatdya mean, you don't have Rose's Lime Juice on hand? Go buy some. Right now. Go on, get!


Post script: I've invented an alcohol-free version of this drink, which I serve* in a scotch glass:

After adding the above ingredients, fill the glass with soda water, seltzer, Sprite (which will make it sweeter), or whatever clear mixer you have on hand. I find that when it has a strong enough salt/ sour lime flavor, I barely miss the tequila.

* serve may be a misnomer. I'm still the only one I know that drinks this concoction.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.