A two-door car with a fixed (non-folding, non-removable) top. In England, same as a DHC.

A fencing maneuver for evading a parry in which the attacker feints in one line then brings the blade up and over the opponent's weapon. This can be done with either a movement of the fingers alone or a movement of the elbow.

Distinct from a disengage, in which one goes under the opponent's blade. Although more difficult than a disengage because of the greater distance that must be covered, the coupe is often performed when the opponent might expect a disengage or when the opponent tends toward fairly low and flat parries.

When spelled coupé it is pronounced koo-PAY and means cut in French and something like leap in Ballet.

In Ballet the leap is done with one foot cutting away the other, to replace it. The foot can cut under as in a coupè dessous or the foot can cut over as in coupè dessus.

In this context, the leap sometimes travels through the air like a real leap, as in coupè dessous sautè, or it might never leave the ground, as in a coupè dessous par terre.

Cou`pé" (k??`p?"), n. [F., fr. coupé, p. p. of couper to cut. See Coppice.]

1.

The front compartment of a French diligence; also, the front compartment (usually for three persons) of a car or carriage on British railways.

2.

A four-wheeled close carriage for two persons inside, with an outside seat for the driver; -- so called because giving the appearance of a larger carriage cut off.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.