Brand name of warfarin sodium

Indications

(1)Prophylaxis and/or treatment of venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism; (2)prophylaxis and/or treatment of thromboembolic complications associated with atrial fibrillation and/or cardiac valve replacement; (3) reduction of the risk of death, recurrent myocardial infarction, and thromboembolic events such as stroke or post-myocardial infarction systemic embolization.
Dosage for adults
Dosage should be individualized for each patient based on prothrombin time (PT) and International Normalized Ratio (INR). Initial dosage is recommended at 2-5 mg/day; maintenance dosage ranges from 2-10 mg/day based on patient sensitivity to the drug.
Dosage for children
Anticoagulation therapy is not common in the pediatric population and the safety and effectiveness of this drug have not been determined for children younger than 18 years of age.
How supplied
Tablets for oral use, available in bottles and blister packages:
1 mg (pink)
2 mg (lavendar)
2.5 mg (green)
3 mg (tan)
4 mg (blue)
5 mg (peach)
6 mg (teal)
7.5 mg (yellow)
10 mg (white)

For intravenous injection:
5.4 mg vial of powder to be reconstituted with 2.7 mL sterile water to yield 2 mg/mL

Additional Information
Anticoagulation therapy usually begins with intravenous heparin and the patient is then transitioned to oral Coumadin for long-term treatment.
Date of most recent Update
April 24, 2003
Further information is available in the writeup for warfarin, the generic name of this medication.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.