Note: There are two stations in the NYC Subway system named "Cortlandt Street/World Trade Center". Both are included in this writeup.


The New York City Subway Lines Project:
The Cortlandt Street/World Trade Center Station (1/9 Train)

What is it?

A station on the 1/9 Train (Seventh Avenue IRT) in the New York City Subway system.

Served By...

What's interesting About It

This station was extensively damaged on September 11, 2001. This station will be completely removed beginning in March 2002, when the track running under the World Trade Center site is renovated.

The Cortlandt Street station was put into service in 1918 as part of a local spur from Chambers Street to South Ferry. In 1966, the station was extended north to accomodate full ten-car trains. The station was completely renovated between 1972 and 1976 and renamed Cortlandt Street/World Trade Center. At this time, all the original tile was removed or covered; one mosaic of a ferry was preserved at the NYC Transit Museum (several railroad ferries to New Jersey were located nearby on West Street).

The line originally ran underneath Greenwich Street, so it ran right underneath the World Trade Center complex when it was built. Neither of the two towers stood directly over the tunnel. The MTA issued a report on the damages caused by the events of September 11, 2001:

  • A three foot thick concrete and steel plug seals the tunnel approximately under Park Place. This was done to prevent tunnel flooding if the WTC foundation failed.
  • The next block south (down to Barclay Street) is badly damaged.
  • The next block south (to Vesey Street) was completely destroyed by the collapse of Seven World Trade Center, which stood alongside the tunnel. The remnants of the tunnel have been filled with concrete so that recovery vehicles can travel safely through the area.
  • The northern part of the station itself was severely damaged. For about 200 feet inside the station and 175 feet south of the station the tunnel was totally collapsed by the falling Two World Trade Center tower.
  • Another plug was put into the tunnel between Liberty and Cedar Streets.
In addition to that damage, there are several locations where falling girders penetrated the ground, the ceiling of the tunnel, and often through into the floor of the tunnel.

The current plan is to replace approximately 2500 feet of tunnel and track between Chambers Street and Rector Street. Replacement will be done with the cut and cover method. The Cortlandt Street/World Trade Center station will become the first station in the history of the NYC Subway system to not only be closed, but actually removed. Plans are to build a new station in the area after is has been redeveloped.

Visuals

The station had a rather stark appearance with earth-toned tile walls after the World Trade Center reconstruction. Prior to that, it had typical Dual Contract IRT mosaics along the walls. Some of these have been preserved at the NYC Transit Museum.

What's Nearby?


The New York City Subway Lines Project:
The Cortlandt Street/World Trade Center Station (N Train, R Train)

What is it?

A station on the N and R (Broadway BMT) in the New York City Subway system.

Served By...

What's interesting About It

This station was extensively damaged on Septermber 11, 2001. Future status of the station is not known, though service on lower parts of the line is schedule to resume in November 2002.

Visuals

After the World Trade Center construction, this station appeared much the same as the Rector Street station. In 1999, this station was completely renovated, with the "large rectangle" tile being removed to expose the original BMT mosaics and name tablets. They preserved the "To Hudson Tubes" directional signs, though that nomenclature is no longer in use.

What's Nearby?

Miscellaneous

Relative depths of stations in the (former) World Trade Center complex:

  • A/C Chambers Street platform: 20 feet below street level
  • E World Trade Center platform: 20 feet below street level
  • N/R Cortlandt Street platform: 20 feet below street level
  • 1/9 Cortlandt Street platform: 40 feet below street level
  • 2/3 Park Place platform: 60 feet below street level
  • PATH fare control: 60 feet below street level
  • PATH platform: 80 feet below street level

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.