Superkingdom Eukaryota
Kingdom Plantae
Division Magnoliophyta (formerly Phylum Tracheophyta)
Class Magnoliopsida (formerly Class Angiospermae)
Subclass Asteridae (formerly Subclass Dicotyledonae)
Order Solanales
Family Convolvulaceae

Convolvulaceae, the morning-glory family, contains about 55 genera and 1700 species (600 of which appear in a single genus, Ipomoea).

Convolvulaceae are distinctive because of their funnel-shaped flowers made from five fused petals.  The flowers have five stamens fused to the petals. Most have a vine-like habit.

The division of this family into subfamilies and tribes appears to be a bit confused at the moment; certainly there was little on the Web to guide me. Adding to the confusion was that the tribe Convolvuleae, which originally contained most of the family's genera, was recently elevated into a subfamily (Convolvuloideae) with a much smaller tribe Convolvuleae underneath it. For this reason, you will find may of the genera of Convolvulaceae listed under tribe Convolvuleae where they have been moved to a different tribe of Convolvuloideae.

Subfamily Convolvuloideae:

Sufamily Cuscutoideae:

Subfamily Dichondroideae:

Subfamily Humbertioideae:


I began this writeup a long time ago, and gave up after I discovered how difficult the family's subdivision was. I have given up trying to make this classification "perfect" and will make corrections when people suggest them (references would be nice). Many of the sources are lost; however,

L. Watson and M. J. Dallwitz (1992 onwards). The Families of Flowering Plants: Descriptions, Illustrations, Identification, and Information Retrieval. Version: 14th December 2000. http://biodiversity.uno.edu/delta/

was certainly one of them.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.