Con*vey" (?), v. t. [imp. & p.p. Conveyed (?); p.pr. & vb.n. Conveying.] [OF. conveir, convoier, to escort, convoy, F. convoyer, LL. conviare, fr. L. con- + via way. See Viaduct, Voyage, and cf. Convoy.]

1.

To carry from one place to another; to bear or transport.

I will convey them by sea in fleats. 1 Kings v. 9.

Convey me to my bed, then to my grave. Shak.

2.

To cause to pass from one place or person to another; to serve as a medium in carrying (anything) from one place or person to another; to transmit; as, air conveys sound; words convey ideas.

3.

To transfer or deliver to another; to make over, as property; more strictly Law, to transfer (real estate) or pass (a title to real estate) by a sealed writing.

The Earl of Desmond . . . secretly conveyed all his lands to feoffees in trust. Spenser.

4.

To impart or communicate; as, to convey an impression; to convey information.

Men fill one another's heads with noise and sound, but convey not thereby their thoughts. Locke.

5.

To manage with privacy; to carry out.

[Obs.]

I . . . will convey the business as I shall find means. Shak.

6.

To carry or take away secretly; to steal; to thieve.

[Obs.]

7.

To accompany; to convoy.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

Syn. -- To carry; transport; bear; transmit; trnsfer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Con*vey", v. i.

To play the thief; to steal.

[Cant]

But as I am Crack, I will convey, crossbite, and cheat upon Simplicius. Marston.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.