<< Back to Constitution of Ireland

Ryano's note: The following is a list of acts which have been enacted to amend the Irish Constitution. Each act will have been passed by the people in a referendum, under the terms of Articles 46 and 47 hereof, but in each case the date attached to the act is the date on which it was signed into law by the President. As you can tell, the rate at which the Constitution is amended has accelerated in recent years, partly due to the necessity of ratifying treaties related to the EU, but also because of the constitutional battles fought over social issues such as abortion and divorce in recent times.

2 September, 1939
First Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1939
Extended to conflicts in which the State is not a participant the provision for a state of emergency to secure the public safety and preservation of the State in time of war or armed rebellion.

30 May, 1941
Second Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1941
An omnibus proposal, covering a range of disparate Articles, aimed at tidying up the Constitution in the light of experience since its enactment.

8 June, 1972
Third Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1972
Allowed the State to become a member of the European Communities.

5 January, 1973
Fourth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1972
Reduced the minimum voting age at Dáil and Presidential elections and referendums from 21 years to 18 years.

5 January, 1973
Fifth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1972
Removed from the Constitution the special position of the Catholic Church and the recognition of other named religious denominations.

3 August, 1979
Sixth Amendment of the Constitution (Adoption) Act, 1979
Ensured that adoption orders made by the Adoption Board could not be declared invalid because they were not made by a court.

3 August, 1979
Seventh Amendment of the Constitution (Election of Members of Seanad Éireann by Institutions of Higher Education) Act, 1979
Allowed the State to extend the provisions for the election of members of Seanad Éireann by certain universities to other institutions of higher education in the State.

7 October, 1983
Eighth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1983
Acknowledged the right to life of the unborn, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother.

2 August, 1984
Ninth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1984 Extended the right to vote at Dáil elections to certain non-Irish nationals.

22 June, 1987
Tenth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1987
Allowed the State to ratify the Single European Act.

16 July, 1992
Eleventh Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1992
Allowed the State to ratify the Treaty on European Union (Maastricht) and to become a member of that union.

There is no Twelfth Amendment. On 25 November 1992, three proposals were put to the people, the Twelfth, Thirteenth and Fourteenth Amendments. The people rejected the Twelfth (which dealt with the right to life of the unborn) and approved the Thirteenth and Fourteenth (below).

3 December, 1992
Thirteenth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1992
Provided that Article 40.3.3 ° (the right to life of the unborn) would not limit freedom to travel between Ireland and another state.

23 December, 1992
Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1992
Provided that Article 40.3.3 ° (the right to life of the unborn) would not limit freedom to obtain or make available information relating to services lawfully available in another state.

17 June, 1996
Fifteenth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1995
Provided for the dissolution of marriage in certain specified circumstances.

12 December, 1996
Sixteenth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1996
Provided for the refusal of bail by a court to a person charged with a serious offence where it is reasonably considered necessary to prevent the commission of a serious offence by that person.

14 November, 1997
Seventeenth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1997
Provided that the confidentiality of discussions at meetings of the Government would be respected save only where the High Court, in certain specified circumstances, determined that disclosure should be made.

3 June, 1998
Eighteenth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1998
Allowed the State to ratify the Treaty of Amsterdam.

3 June, 1998
Nineteenth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1998
Allowed the State to consent to be bound by the British-Irish Agreement done at Belfast on 10 April 1998 and provided that certain further amendments to the Constitution, notably to Articles 2 and 3, would come into effect when that agreement entered into force.

23 June, 1999
Twentieth Amendment of the Constitution Act, 1999
Provided constitutional recognition of the role of local government and that local elections are held at least every five years.

<< Back to Constitution of Ireland

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.