The Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) is, as the name implies, a caucus of the United States Congress for Black representatives. Founded 31 years ago, the Congressional Black Caucus draws upon a Black Congressional history reaching back to 1870. They are concerned with the well-being of all Black Americans. The 2001 session includes 38 members, many of them from large cities such as Atlanta, New York City, Los Angeles, Detroit, etc..

One of the current concerns facing the CBC is Black voters rights. They propose significant reforms to election procedures, especially in light of the recent Presidential election. The relatively low turn-out of Black voters means that the CBC is interested in serious voter participation movements.

The current racial disparities in the judicial system, including racial profiling and radically prejudiced drug sentences, are a top priority.

Social health issues are also relevant to Black people in America, and as such the CBC proposed several initiatives. For example, they focus on preventing the spread of HIV/AIDS through legislation, protecting the healtcare rights of children, expanding the utility of Medicare, and caring for poor Blacks.

The majority of high-paying jobs are now in relatively high technology areas; the CBC proposes that H1-B training grants be offered to those under-represented in these industries. They also seek to protect the rights of small, Black-owned businesses through property protections and other legislation. The maintenence of affordable housing is also important. They promote initiatives encouraging home ownership as a means to social improvement.

Finally, as a clearly liberally-slanted organization, the CBC supports environmentally friendly initiatives in congress.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.