In the sixties and seventies some hippies, greenies and erstwhile socialists went to live in the country in a replication of the 'old ways'. All the participants pooled their money and other resources to create a self-contained village. All the babies were raised together, sometimes the adults participated in free love. Everyone had a place, and a function.

Some of these communes survive today, although many people didn't stay past the first few years. Sometimes people seek out these villages in search of the simpler life - sometimes they find corruption, and sometimes they find what they're looking for.

It could be said this is true communism, in that all the members of the commune shared everything, and everyone was provided for.

Com*mune" (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Communed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Communing.] [OF. communier, fr. L. communicare to communicate, fr. communis common. See Common, and cf. Communicate.]

1.

To converse together with sympathy and confidence; to interchange sentiments or feelings; to take counsel.

I would commune with you of such things That want no ear but yours. Shak.

2.

To receive the communion; to partake of the eucharist or Lord's supper.

To commune under both kinds. Bp. Burnet.

To commune with one's selfone's heart, to think; to reflect; to meditate.

 

© Webster 1913.


Com"mune (?), n.

Communion; sympathetic intercourse or conversation between friends.

For days of happy commune dead. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Com"mune (?), n. [F., fr. commun. See Common.]

1.

The commonalty; the common people.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

In this struggle -- to use the technical words of the time -- of the "commune", the general mass of the inhabitants, against the "prudhommes" or "wiser" few. J. R. Green.

2.

A small terrotorial district in France under the government of a mayor and municipal council; also, the inhabitants, or the government, of such a district. See Arrondissement.

3.

Absolute municipal self-government.

The Commune of Paris, ∨ The Commune (a) The government established in Paris (1792-94) by a usurpation of supreme power on the part of representatives chosen by the communes; the period of its continuance is known as the "Reign of Terror." (b) The revolutionary government, modeled on the commune of 1792, which the communists, so called, attempted to establish in 1871.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.