In the colonial period (16-early 1700's), schooling wasn't very valued, but some children were forced to attend anyways. Learning, it seemed, wasn't as important as being punished. Girls for most part didn't even go to school. They stayed home to learn weaving, sewing, cooking, homemaking skills, and the alphabet. The children who did attend school were treated like horrible little beasts who deserved whipping more than schooling. Some schools kept sessions 12 months a year, 6 days a week. Some schoolmasters bordedwith students. Schoolmasters did this usually because they were too poor to afford a home. Public school was not free as it is now. In fact, some students had to pay the schoolmaster with food. In 1647 a law was passed that required every town of 50 or more families to chose a teacher and provide him with wages. The pupils lessons usually related to the christian bible in some way. They were required to learn short verses for every letter of the alphabet.


Example: Letter A

In Adam's fall,

We sinned all.

.

The students didn't have very many resources. They had pretty much no books besides the schoolmasters bible and book of psalms. They used hornbooks instead.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.