<-- Fifth Edition | Magic: The Gathering Basic Sets | Seventh Edition -->


On April 27, 1999, Wizards of the Coast released the sixth version of the Magic: The Gathering basic set, calling it 'Classic Sixth Edition'. This set actually shrunk in size from Fifth Edition, down to 350 cards, which means a lot of cards were rotated out - 278, to be exact. Cards that were rotated in came from Ice Age, Homelands, Alliances, Mirage, Visions, and Weatherlight.

The cards in this set have white borders, and are the first basic set to feature an expansion symbol. The symbol is the roman numeral for six, and the symbol is in black for commons, silver for uncommons, and gold for rares.

Along with the rotation in cards, this edition brought with it some signficant changes to the rules. For example, interrupts were eliminated and changed to instants, and the order of spell resolution was modified. Also, creature cards no longer have the word 'summon' listed for the card type, but show 'Creature - (creature type)'. Some triggered abilties were changed to make them more intuitive. Artifacts no longer turn off when tapped - but old artifacts are given errata to continue this behavior. Also see The Stack.

Artifact

Black

Blue

Green

Red

White

Land

Removed Cards:

The following cards were removed from the basic set after Fifth Edition.

Artifact

Black

Blue

Green

Red

White

Land

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.