In UK drug law, controlled drugs are put into one of three classes: A, B and C. Class A is the most serious: Possession of a Class A drug can potentially lead to a prison sentence of up to seven years, while the maximum penalty for supplying or trafficking is life imprisonment and an unlimited fine. Most illegal drugs are in Class A. Most forms of amphetamine are Class B, and for the time being so is cannabis - however the Home Secretary recently announced plans to re-classify it as Class C, alongside steroids, anti-depressants and so on.

It is quite common to find people at festivals and raves wandering around saying things like "Has anyone got any Class A's?"

Class A drugs include heroin, cocaine, crystal meth, LSD, psilocybin, DMT, mescaline and MDMA. Here is the list of Class A drugs as it appears in the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971* (which may omit a number of drugs which now fall into this class):

  1. Any stereoisomeric form of a substance for the time being specified in paragraph 1 above not being dextromethorphan or dextrorphan
  2. Any ester or ether of a substance for the time being specified in paragraph 1 or 2 above.
  3. Any salt of a substance for the time being specified in any of paragraphs 1 to 3 above.
  4. Any preparation or other product containing a substance or product for the time being specified in any of paragraphs 1 to 4 above.
  5. Any preparation designed for administration by injection which includes a substance or product for the time being specified in any of paragraphs 1 to 3 of Part II of this Schedule.

* From http://www.ukcia.org/pollaw/lawlibrary/misuseofdrugsact1971.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.