Clackamas county is one of Oregon's 36 counties, located in the northwestern part of the state. It is bordered by Multnomah County to the north, Hood River and Wasco counties to the east, Marion County to the south, and Yamhill and Washington counties to the west. Clackamas County is one of the 3 counties in the Portland metropolitan area. About 1/8th of the land area in Clackamas County is urban but the majority is rural.

The county covers 1,879 square miles and has a population of about 326,850.

Clackamas County was named for the resident Clackamas Indians and was one of the four original Oregon counties created in 1843. Oregon City, the county seat, was the first incorporated city west of the Rockies, the first capital of Oregon Territory, and the site of the first legislative session.

Oregon City was also the site of the only federal court west of the Rockies in 1849, when the city of San Francisco was platted. The plat was filed in 1850 in the first plat book of the first office of records in the West Coast and is still in Oregon City. The area's early history is featured at the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.

From its fifty-five foot elevation at Oregon City, the county rises to 11,235 feet at the peak of Mt. Hood, the only year-round ski resort in the United States and the site of Timberline Lodge National History Landmark. The mountain, rivers and forests offer excellent outdoor recreation activities, from skiing and rafting to fishing and camping. The Clackamas Town Center, with more retail stores than any shopping mall in Oregon, is the hub of eastside business.

There are 14 cities in Clackamas County:

Some info from Oregon blue book and www.co.clackamas.or.us

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.