"This is the city...."

As a young boy growing up in Grants Pass, OR I would watch Dragnet re-runs and the first line would always grab me.

"This is the city..."

Well now I don't live in "The City" but I live in Acity. I don't live in "the burbs" it isn't a "town" or a "village" it's a city... Portland, OR, it's the only real city in the state, but I call it home.

Living in such a place is vastly different from the small logging community I grew up in. but I assimilated quickly, the city (as they say) was in my blood. We moved when I was starting High School. Street smarts came as second nature to me, I could easily identify the "bad" parts of town after my first month, and I've managed to avoid incidents by either common sense, logic, or just dumb luck. I feel as though I've lived here all my life, I know my way around, I know where everything is, when people ask me if I know any cool places to go on a friday night they have to listen to a half-hour long speech. I know and use the public transportation system, not because I have to, but because it helps make the city a better place. It's city living and I embrace it wholeheartedly.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.