A required merit badge
for Boy Scouts
. Taken from meritbadge.com:
1. After reading, discuss with your counselor the following documents:
a. Declaration of Independence
b. Preamble to the Constitution
d. Bill of Rights
e. Amendments to the Constitution
2. Name the three branches of government
and explain their functions. Explain the checks and balances
on each branch of government.
3. Outline the relationships between state and federal governments.
4. Do ONE of the following:
a. Visit the national Capitol.
b. Visit your state capitol.
c. Tour a federal installation.
Explain your experiences to your counselor.
5. Name your two senator
s and the member of congress
from your congressional district. Write a letter to one of these elected officials on a national issue, sharing your view with him or her. Show your letter and any response to your counselor.
6. What are five important functions of your national government? Explain how these functions affect your family and local community.
7. Discuss the main ways by which the federal government is financed.