From CNN.com

Early Wednesday morning:(All times are EDT) Six firefighters and a police officer are reported rescued from the rubble of the World Trade Center.

5:20 a.m.: Pope John Paul II opens his weekly address with a statement condemning Tuesday's attacks, saying "evil and death will not have the last word."

8:45 a.m.: All European stock markets cease trading for one minute's silence to remember Tuesday's events.

9:05 a.m.: The assistant director of the Washington, D.C., Airport Authority tells CNN that Dulles International and Ronald Reagan National airports will open at 3 p.m. Wednesday only to allow people to pick up their luggage and vehicles.

10 a.m.: Congress reconvenes in the U.S. Capitol with members of both parties denouncing Tuesday's events.

10:30 a.m.: New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani warns that the death toll would be grim. "The numbers we are working with are in the thousands," Giuliani told reporters at a briefing.

10:50 a.m.: The president labels Tuesday's attacks "acts of war" and says the United States faces a different enemy than ever before in its history. "This will be a monumental struggle of good vs. evil. But good will prevail," Bush says.

10:54 a.m.: CNN reports that the United States has intercepted two phone calls made after Tuesday's terrorist attacks against the Pentagon and New York's World Trade Center, and the conversations were between members of al Qaeda, an organization sponsored by bin Laden. In those conversations, U.S. law enforcement officials say the individuals discussed hitting two U.S. targets.

11:20 a.m.: CNN reports that the FAA will not allow domestic air traffic to resume at noon Wednesday.

11:25 a.m.: A total of nine survivors have been rescued so far in the rubble in New York. Six are firefighters, and three are police officers.

12:10 p.m.: Officials from Boston's Logan International Airport say the Federal Aviation Administration is requiring all U.S. airports to comply with some emergency safety measures, including banning the sale or use of knives, even plastic ones, at airports; evacuating and sweeping all terminals with K-9 teams; and discontinuing curbside check-in.

1 p.m.: CNN reports that the FBI has taken several people into custody for questioning in Boston, Massachusetts, and in Florida. Authorities also are checking passenger manifests from the crashed airplanes to see if they include anyone who attended flight schools in the United States or who used facilities that have airline simulators.

1:20 p.m.: CNN reports that officials of the Taliban, the hard-line Islamic rulers of Afghanistan, are appealing to the United States not to attack the country. The country is where suspected Saudi terrorist Osama bin Laden is based.

2:15 p.m.: Philip Purcell, chairman and chief executive officer of the brokerage firm Morgan Stanley, says "a vast majority" of the 3,500 staff members who worked in two of the World Trade Center buildings, including one of the twin towers, got out safely after hijackers crashed two planes into the towers.

2:20 p.m.: Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta says that airline flights diverted after Tuesday's attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon are authorized to finish their journeys Wednesday but all other planes remain grounded. Only passengers on the original flights could reboard and only after new security measures were put in place. Airlines also can move empty airplanes, Mineta said.

2:57 p.m.: CNN Senior White House Correspondent John King reports that the White House says that there was "reasonable and credible information" to believe that the White House and Air Force One were possible targets of the terrorist attacks. The White House says this is why the president did not immediately return to Washington on Tuesday. The White House also says the plane that crashed into the Pentagon may have been destined originally for the White House.

3:40 p.m.: U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft says the four planes involved in Tuesday's events were hijacked by between three and six individuals per aircraft. They were armed with knives and box cutters and in some cases made bomb threats. Ashcroft says a number of suspected hijackers were trained as pilots in the United States, and he characterized the investigation as perhaps the most massive one ever undertaken in U.S. history.

4 p.m.: NATO ambassadors meeting in Brussels, Belgium, approve the invocation of NATO's self-defense charter if Tuesday's terrorist attacks in the United States prove to have been directed from abroad. NATO's charter says that an armed attack against one of the organization's members is considered an attack against all of them. The United States, therefore, can invoke that section of the charter and count on the support of its NATO allies in mounting military operations. It is the first time the self-defense charter has been invoked in the 52-year history of the alliance.

4 p.m.: White House spokesman Ari Fleischer says the president called European heads of state, Chinese President Jiang Zemin and Russian President Vladimir Putin to rally an international coalition to fight terrorism.

4:50 p.m.: The New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq are not expected to open before Friday. The markets could open as early as Friday but will open no later than Monday, according to market officials.

5:20 p.m.: Rescue workers and journalists are evacuated from the devastated area around the World Trade Center due to a partial collapse of the nearby One Liberty Plaza. The 54-story building houses the Nasdaq stock market's new headquarters.

5:45 p.m.: Relatives of Jeremy Glick, a passenger on the plane that crashed in rural Pennsylvania, say he related during a cell phone call that men on board voted to try to overpower the three hijackers. Shortly after that call, the plane went down. Officials have told CNN they believe the plane was headed for Washington.

6 p.m.: President Bush visits the Pentagon and thanks rescue workers for their efforts. During his visit, a massive U.S. flag is draped over the side of the damaged building. "Coming here, makes me sad, on the one hand. It also makes me angry," he says. "Our country, however, will not be cowed by terrorists, by people who don't share the same values we share."

6 p.m.: Finance ministers and central bank presidents from the Group of Seven wealthy countries -- the United States, Japan, Germany, France, Britain, Italy and Canada -- issue a joint statement promising to work together to supply money to banks faced with unusual withdrawal demands.

7 p.m.: Congress holds a prayer vigil in the Capitol Rotunda.

7:18 p.m.: Negotiators from Republican and Democratic parties have discussed an exact price tag for an emergency spending bill and how the money can be spent in response to Tuesday's attacks in New York City and Washington. House and Senate leaders say they plan votes on the measure Thursday. One House leader puts the cost at $20 billion.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.