Born on July 30, 1970 in London, Christopher Jonathan James Nolan is rapidly becoming well-known in the film industry for his prodigious achievements as a writer and director of dramatic cinema.

Nolan's earliest films were shot with his father's 8mm video camera, and starred a variety of miniature action figures. He continued to pursue his interests in cinema as he grew older, producing a short film entitled Tarantella while an undergraduate at University College in London, where he studied English literature. The short was aired in the United States on PBS's "Image Union".

After teaming up with fellow film-maker Jeremy Theobald, Nolan produced several more shorts, and a full-length feature film entitled Following, which won numerous awards, including the Rotterdam International Film Festival's Tiger Award and the Slamdance Black & White Award.

Nolan's breakthrough into mainstream cinema occurred in 2000 with the release of Memento, an innovative work of film-making known for its bizarre, "backwards" storytelling. Memento, which starred Guy Pearce and Carrie-Anne Moss, was nominated for two Academy Awards.

The director's latest project (circa 2002), a critically acclaimed suspense film entitled Insomnia, stars Al Pacino as a detective determined to catch a killer, played by Robin Williams.

Filmography through 2012 (as director)

1989 - Tarantella (short)
1996 - Larceny (short)
199? - Doodlebug (short)
1998 - Following
2000 - Memento
2002 - Insomnia
2005 - Batman Begins
2006 - The Prestige
2008 - The Dark Knight
2010 - Inception
2012 - The Dark Knight Rises

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.