Now an umbrella term for hardcore fundamentalist worldviews. Aspects tend to clash with the Big Room. Theonomy upholds all of God's law, no excuses: this is what produces a 'Pastor' Pete Peters (unless he's into "Christian Identity" racialism) - I guess he doesn't eat pork or touch a menstruating woman, either. Dominionists view Christian rule over the earth as grounds to control everyone - not just animals/vegetables/minerals; the unspoken MO of the Christian Coalition, etc.

Christian Reconstructionism is a subgroup of the radical Christian Right. The biggest difference between the Reconstructionists and the rest of the Christian Right is that the Reconstructionists wish to enforce Old Testament civic laws. However, the Reconstructionists don't wish to engage in some sort of revolution to take over the world, but rather believe that they can convert the world to their point of view through massive proselytization. The large majority of the Christian Right rejects these views, both because they are uncomfortable with the idea of enforcing the Old Testament civic laws, and also because of theological disagreements.

This difference comes about from how they interpret one quote from Christ, and several different quotes from St. Paul; all quotes here are from The Living Bible; Paraphrased, by Tyndale House Publishers. In the first quote, Christ to his disciples, Matthew 5:17-19

Don't misunderstand why I have come -- it isn't to cancel the laws of Moses and the warnings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them, and to make them all come true. With all the earnestness I have I say: Every law in the Book will continue until it's purpose i achieved. And so if anyone breaks the least commandment, and teaches others to, he shall be the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But those who teach God's laws, and obey them shall be great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Examples of the quotes from Paul, which all boil down to the same thing, Paul writing to gentile converts, are Galatians 3:2-3

Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by trying to keep the Jewish laws? Of course not, for the Holy Spirit came upon you only after you heard about Christ and trusted him to save you. Then have you gone completely crazy? For if trying to obey the Jewish laws never gave you spiritual life in the first place, why do you think that trying to obey them now will make you stronger Christians?

and Galatians 3:24-25

Let me put it another way. The Jewish laws were our teacher and guide until Christ came to give us right standing with God through our faith. But now that Christ has come, we don't need those laws any longer to lead us to Him.

Most Christians interpret this to mean that the Old Testament laws were fulfilled with Christ's crucifixion and resurrection, so that they no longer apply to humanity. However, the Reconstructions hold that, since God is eternal and unchanging, the morals (and laws) under which people should live are unchanging, and thus the Old Testament laws are still valid. They take the quote from Jesus to be a reaffirmation of those laws, and that the quotes from Paul only apply to the ceremonial laws, not the moral and civic laws.

Another theological difference between Reconstructionists and most other conservative Christians is postmillenialism versus premillenialism. Premillenialism, which most conservative Christians hold to, is the belief that Christ will come after the Apocalypse, in accordance with Revelations, and establish a 1,000 year rule on Earth. Postmillenialism, which Reconstructionists believe, holds that Christ will only come after the Earth has been turned into the Kingdom of God, by which they mean all the governments of the world are run as theocracies upholding the Old Testaments laws. Postmillenialists do some fancy hand waving in order to claim that the events in Revelations have already happened, to keep their theology consistent.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.