Christian Moerlein is a brand of beer produced by Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Company, of Cincinnati, Ohio, a (recently acquired) subsidiary of the better-known Boston Beer Company, which makes Sam Adams. The Moerlein moniker comes from that of a well-known Cincinnati brewer prior to prohibition; the beer itself was introduced in 1981 by Hedenpohl, and subsequently brought back in 1997, after an initial name change (and ensuing market loss) to "Cincinnati Select".

There are currently four brews under the Christian Moerlein name:
  • Christian Moerlein Bock Beer
  • Christian Moerlein Honey Almond
  • Christian Moerlein Kölsch
  • Christian Moerlein Select Lager

While not particularly widespread or well-known, this line of beers is nonetheless quite good, and has won a number of awards and accolades. Furthermore, the the Select Lager was the first American beer to certifiably pass the Reinheitsgebot, was named also known as the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516.

In addition, Christian Moerlein is quite reasonably priced, in the world of often-overpriced microbrews. While not always easy to find, A 12-pack "sampler" can usually be had for around ten dollars.

Works Referenced:
  • "Hudepohl revives Christian Moerlein" : http://www.cincypost.com/business/1997/hudy051397.html
  • "Over the Barrel: Frequently Asked Questions" : http://www.mwsc.edu/orgs/germanclub/Sudhaus/faq.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.