Choose (?), v. t. [imp. Chose (?); p. p. Chosen (?), Chose (Obs.); p. pr. & vb. n. Choosing.] [OE. chesen, cheosen, AS. ceosan; akin to OS. kiosan, D. kiezen, G. kiesen, Icel. kjosa, Goth. kiusan, L. gustare to taste, Gr. , Skr. jush to enjoy. 46. Cf. Choice, 2d Gust.]

1.

To make choice of; to select; to take by way of preference from two or more objects offered; to elect; as, to choose the least of two evils.

Choose me for a humble friend. Pope.

2.

To wish; to desire; to prefer.

[Colloq.]

The landlady now returned to know if we did not choose a more genteel apartment. Goldsmith.

To choose sides. See under Side.

Syn. - To select; prefer; elect; adopt; follow. -- To Choose, Prefer, Elect. To choose is the generic term, and denotes to take or fix upon by an act of the will, especially in accordance with a decision of the judgment. To prefer is to choose or favor one thing as compared with, and more desirable than, another, or more in accordance with one's tastes and feelings. To elect is to choose or select for some office, employment, use, privilege, etc., especially by the concurrent vote or voice of a sufficient number of electors. To choose a profession; to prefer private life to a public one; to elect members of Congress.

 

© Webster 1913.


Choose, v. i.

1.

To make a selection; to decide.

They had only to choose between implicit obedience and open rebellion. Prescott.

2.

To do otherwise.

"Can I choose but smile?"

Pope.

Can not choose but, must necessarily.

Thou canst not choose but know who I am. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.