It looks like an ordinary chocolate cupcake: the traditional swirl of chocolate icing, the unassuming yet cheerful wrapper. And a chocolate cupcake would be good enough. But this isn't your mama's cupcake, son. Oh no.

You peel back the wrapper and sink your teeth into a cushion of Devil's Food goodness with a hint of--what? It can't be. Oh yes, there's peanut butter in the cake. The fluffy, moist texture is now a kaleidoscope of tastes; sweet blends into slightly-salty and just when you think you've reached the peak of your cupcake experience, you discover your Everest. Why yes, that is a peanut butter filling. Yes, I know it's delicious. No, I won't marry you. But I'll teach you how to make 'em.

Cake Ingredients:

  • One box of Devil's Food cake mix (any brand) plus whatever ingredients it calls for (oil, eggs, whatever)***
  • 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter

Filling Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 8 oz whipped cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup milk

Toppings:

So here's what you do. Make your cake mix according to the instructions on the box; your only alteration is to add peanut butter. Spoon the batter into cupcake/muffin cups and bake at 325F for 15-18 minutes. When the cupcakes are done, cool them completely. Then stir together all of the filling ingredients. A hand mixer works best, but if you've got the stamina, it's just as easy to beat it yourself for two minutes. Now you're ready to add the creamy center to the cupcakes.

You can add the filling one of two ways. Professional-types probably have icing bags and tips at home. These people are going to fill the bag with cream and inject it into the cupcakes. Those of us who don't own fancy pants are going to use a slightly more intricate method. Take a knife and carve a hole out of the top of the cupcake. It should pop out in a cylindrical shape, much like the top off a pumpkin. We'll spoon in as much cream as looks good, saw off the cake filling from the top, and place the top back on the cupcake. (No one will be the wiser when we add the frosting.) Add the frosting, the garnish, and chill until dessert. Enjoy!

***Note: Obviously, if you have a favorite chocolate cake recipe that doesn't involve something so lowly as a box mix, that'll work, too. It's just, y'know, more work.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.