I just want to help this team. That is why I told Bobby Cox and John Schuerholz that I would move to the outfield if it would make us a better team. That is why I have no problem hitting in the four-hole when I have been a three-hole hitter my whole career. This game is about THIS team and us winning.

Larry Wayne Jones Jr. was born on April 24, 1972 in DeLand, Florida. He is more commonly known as Chipper, a nickname he recieved at a young age as many noticed how similar he looked to his father and called him a "Chip off the Old Block." Chipper grew up in Pierson, Florida, the proclaimed Fern capitol of the world. Currently there is a street and a baseball diamond that bear his name in the town. It would be in Pierson that Chipper would do some menial jobs, and excel in baseball. Here he idolized the great Los Angeles Dodgers teams of the late 70s.

When 1990 rolled around, the high school star was all set to attend the University of Miami and major in communications when something special happened. He was drafted as the first pick overall in the Free Agent draft by the Atlanta Braves. Only 18 years old, Chipper started playing in various minor league teams for the Braves. He bounced around from Macon, Ga to Bradenton, Fla to Durham, N.C. and then to Triple A Richmond, Va. Every place in which he played, Chipper shined. He made his MLB debut just three years after entering the minors on September 11, 1993, just half a year since he could drink legally.

Things would not go smoothly in the major leagues. Chipper was used sparingly in 1993, seeing action in only 8 games, and making 3 appearances at home plate. However, he played well in those few appearances and things looked good for the following year. Unfortunately, Chipper would not play at all in the 1994 season due to a deabilitating knee injury suffered before the season.

In the 1995 season, Chipper began to make his mark. Always one to do anything to better the team, Chip moved over a position from shortstop, to third base, even though he hadn't played the position since he was 14. This would not have an effect on his batting, as he knocked in 86 runs, leading all other rookies.

By now, the Braves were clicking on all cylinders. They dominate pitching was beginning to recieve some of that desired run support from the likes of Chipper, David Justice, Andruw Jones, Marquis Grissom and Ryan Klesko. The Braves tore through the season, winning the NL eastern division by a whopping 21 games. This continued into the postseason as they defeated the Colorado Rockies 3-1 in the divisional series and then stomped all over the Cincinatti Reds, sweeping the NLCS 4-0. The 1995 World Series pitted the Braves against the Cleveland Indians. Just as in the season, and the rest of the postseason, the pitching for the Braves was immaculate, and the bats were awake and aware. The Indians fell in 6 games. This marked not only the first world championship for Atlanta, but also justified the Braves to be called the Team to Beat in the 1990s and made the Braves the first franchise to win the World Series in three different cities, Atlanta, Boston and Milwaukee.

The 1996 season would be very similar except for one minor problem, the dreaded and hated New York Yankees. Despite excellent hitting by Jones, the Yanks managed to stun the Braves and steal the World Series.

97 and 98 were similar seasons for the Braves. Atlanta played well during the season, winning over 100 games in both seasons. Despite the success in the regular season, they would fail to make it to the World Series in both postseasons.

In 1999, Chipper had a stellar year, and was voted Most Valuable Player. He hit a NL record for home runs by a switch hitter, 9 shy of the overall record by Mickey Mantle. Chipper also became the first player to hit over .300, score 100+ runs, have over 40 doubles, over 40 home runs, drive home over 100 runs, over 100 walks and steal more than 20 bases in a single season. Not only all that, Chipper also had a 39 game hitting streak during the middle of the season, setting a new Atlanta record. Even with his stellar statistics, the Braves had lost some key players from previous seasons and lost to the despised Yankees yet again.

On June 30, 2000, Chipper' son, Larry Wayne Jones III was born. Also that year, he signed a 6 year, 90 million dollar contract with the Braves, the only team he's played for in his major league career.

Besides whooping butt on the Baseball Field, Chipper spends a lot of time and effort working with various charities. He founded the Chipper Jones Family Foundation, which helps fund organizations like The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, the Florida and Georgia Sheriffs' Youth Ranches, Stetson University, the Take 'Em Deep Program and Boys and Girls Clubs and Little League Programs in the Atlanta area. Chipper is the Honorary Chairman of the Building Bridges to A Cure Campaign by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

Statistics:

All-Star:
1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2008

Position: Left Field, Third Base, Shortstop
Number: #10
Bats: Switch
Throws: Right
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 210 lbs.

Sources:
http://www.google.com
http://www.mlb.com
http://www.atlantabraves.com
http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jonesch06.shtml
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/players/2993/
http://www.chipperjones.com/home.html
http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5/5164/
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5164
quote taken from - http://www.oregonbaseballcampaign.com/interview_004.html
http://www.typozalot.freeserve.co.uk/TChipper.htm
http://bigleaguers.yahoo.com/mlbpa/players/5164/community

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.