Chicken Fajitas

There is NO SUCH THING as Chicken Fajitas. Fajitas are a cut of BEEF, specifically the diaphragm muscle, commonly referred to as skirt steak. Since fajitas are beef, there can be no such thing as chicken fajitas, just like there can't be any chicken filet mignon. QED

The term fajitas is derived from the Spanish word faja, which means girdle, or corset. Fajitas are usually grilled. Season with salt and pepper, or marinade. See recipe below.

You may find chicken fajitas listed on restaurant menus. Please, if you do, say something to correct this absurdity!

BEEF MARINADE

Combine:
1 1/2 cups beer (Editorial comment; I recommend using a Mexican beer. Drink the remainder.)
  1/2 cup salad oil
stirring the oil in slowly. Then add:
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 cloves

Marinade refrigerated overnight.

-- The Joy of Cooking, Irma S. Rombauer and Marion Rombauer Becker, Copyright 1964, Bobbs-Merrill Company, Inc.

Grilling meat is one of the things I enjoy most in life. There is a simple and amazingly good method I have found for seasoning chicken fajitas. I have found that a bottle of the cheap store-brand or generic Italian dressing makes the best marinade for making chicken fajitas. Use boneless or skinless-boneless breasts (the skin adds flavor but increases fat content). Marinade the chicken in the dressing from 30 minutes to overnight.

There are some general principles to follow when grilling poultry:

  • When grilling chicken it's important to cook the chicken slowly so as to make sure that there is no rare portion left in the middle - this will prevent salmonalla food poisoning.
  • Salt is best added immediately before, during, or just after grilling. If added too soon and left to sit, salt will draw the moisture out of the meat and dry it into jerky.
  • Grilling quick and hot seals the moisture in the meat, making for a more tender final result. Sear the chicken breasts quickly, then turn the heat down to medium-low for the remainder of the cooking.

Grill the chicken as above. After the initial sear, turn it every three to five minutes, brushing more of the marinade over it each time. When it is done (slice into the thickest piece to make sure there is no pink), take it off the grill and put it onto a cutting board. Slice the fajita meat into thin strips, salt lightly to taste, and serve it in a rolled up flour tortilla. Here are some common ingredients used in the southwest on fajitas:

Chicken fajitas are a main course, and full meal all wrapped into one. Try them for yourself - you won't be disappointed! If you like fajitas, try the recipe for Beef fajitas too.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.